HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - I would REALLY appreciate ANY input!!! (ELK)
Old 03-04-2014, 04:22 PM
txhunter58
Nontypical Buck

First gear:
longjohns: think moisture transfer, not warmth. When you hike in the mountains, you sweat even in really cold weather. I have a light and medium set. Its only real job is to tranfer moisture to outer layers to evaporate, so you have to get a synthetic or wool that will do the job. Never use longjohns with any cotton.
Socks: Merino wool is really the only way to go, even if you hunt when it is warm.
Boots: Need good ankle support in a decent goretex type boot
Sleeping bag: Good synthetic to about 0-15 degrees. Down is OK if you camp at the trailhead, but on a pack in I don't trust a bag that if wet won't keep me warm.
sleeping pad: As important as the bag because if you don't have one your back will hurt and you will sleep cold
Raingear: I think packable is the way to go. I have Cabelas rain suede packable. They last about 6-8 years for me and pack away into my day pack when I don't need them.

Keep warm and dry and keep your feet happy and you will enjoy the trip a whole lot more. The list above is a sizable investment, but if you don't have some items, you have a lot of time to space out purchases. Do weekly searches on Cabelas and other sites for specific items and buy on sale. I buy quality materials, but I NEVER buy a particular camo pattern. The best pattern is the one on sale! Outfitters camo is as good as any high dollar pattern out there.

As far as areas to check into, there are plently of elk on public land within a short distance from Pagosa Springs, Durango, Gunnison, from Grand Juntion, Glenwood Springs, Meeker, Steamboat springs, Leadville. The list is long.

The next time you see a Moo cow on the side of the road, think about if you shoot that animal 4 miles from your truck. How are you going to get the meat to your truck? Research and learn the gutless method of getting an elk ready to pack out.