HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Squirrel & Rabbit Hunting.
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2014, 10:03 AM
Erno86
Nontypical Buck

For squirrels: I like #5 shot with a shotgun...and subsonic 22's {hollow points or solids being you're choice} due to the mild report, that spook's the squirrels less. On snow covered cold days, the squirrels will tend to come out of there dens later in the morning; if they come out at all.

Fox squirrels tend to rummage around more in the fall leaves, then the greys who tend too like to run on fallen logs and tree limbs; so they can be more stealthy. Find fox's along streams and river tributaries including the surrounding slopes; because they migrate up an down the rivers.

I prefer setting up near a den tree before first light. Wear amplified hearing protection, that boosts sound 125%. I like wearing my camo Howard Leight amplified hearing muffs, so I can better detect the sounds that squirrels make; while protecting my ears as well from the sound of shotgun blasts.

If a squirrel spooks and runs up the opposite side of the tree to hide... try shooting the bark on the opposite side of the tree --- of where you think he's hiding --- and he might spook onto your side of the tree. If you just see his bushy tail while he's hiding up high in a tree...shoot at or just the below the tail; and he'll probably spook an run-up higher in the tree --- till he has no more tree left to run-up --- unless he runs into his den or onto another tree.

Bring along a squirrel call...one for mountain fox's {not the Delmarva Fox squirrel which is protected here in Maryland} and one for grey's, if both are present.

I like to skin an field dress my squirrels with a 4" long knife blade and a good pair of pruning shears --- with the shears --- for cutting off the feet, head an tail bone; including the aitch bone which is located between the inner rear legs.

Cooking squirrels: Soak them in a bowl of water overnight in the fridge, pat dry, flour an pan brown-fry them lightly, then throw them in a pressure cooker for 40 minutes; for some fork tender squirrel or rabbits.

I only went squirrel hunting twice last fall --- just when the hickory nuts were falling --- with my hunting partner at the same location, here in Central Maryland. On the first outing --- on public hunting land --- we both had our limits of six squirrels by 12 noon --- the second outing --- had me limit out by 9:00 A.M., while my partner bagged 5.

Listen for the tell-tail sound of squirrel's chewing on the nut hulls, and the sound of hull's hitting the forest floor --- once the sound stops --- prepare for squirrel movement.

Last edited by Erno86; 03-03-2014 at 12:07 PM. Reason: added a sentence