HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Need Advice on Elk Hunt
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2014, 01:20 PM
tatonka
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Big Uncle
Yes but then you couldn't brag about shooting a 350" unless you applied some measuring tape magic (an all too common event). Of course all TV bulls are 350" class bulls, or better. I am always impressed by the TV boys that can glass an elk at 1,500 yards and know exactly what he will score.

All hard earned elk are trophies in my book.
Ha! Ain't that the truth... Don't get me going Hunting Shows on TV!!! That's a topic for a whole different discussion!

I agree, though...put a 325" bull next to a 350" bull at 1,500 yards and it would take a pretty experienced elk hunter to be able to see those 2" differences in the measurements. Take scoring with a grain of salt. It's really not what it's all about at all.....

Back to the original question here. I've only hunted Montana, so all I know about other states is what I've read. If a person can draw a permit in any state where tags are limited they're going to have a much better chance at a nice bull... Might take a while to draw one of those tags, but the wait is usually worth it. In the meantime if a person has $10,000 to spend I think I'd be looking at any outfitter who has a good size piece of private ground to hunt...