HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - new IL hunter. some questions some complaints
Old 02-24-2014, 03:43 PM
uncle matt
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by jehan60188
so, I've been thinking of getting in to hunting (on the fence about if I want to start with deer or duck), but it seems like there are a lot of obstacles in illinois.

So, I've got Hunter Safety Education in a few weeks; but it seems like I might be better off hunting in Wisconsin. Do I have to take another safety course for that, or will my Illinois safety course be recognized by Wisconsin? Or Indiana, or any other state for that matter?

I've gotten a foid card, and after much research decided a AR-10 chambered in .308 would be a good gun. EXCEPT it's too small to be legally used in illinois, AND in illinois, I have to use a muzzle loader.
So, maybe a shotgun would be better? Are 12 gauge slugs more effective than .308?

hope you guys can provide some insight!
I'll respond to your comments and answer your questions in order that you asked them including my comments with each answer.

1. You say that after "much research you decided on an AR-10 in .308. Excuse me? You are saying you don't know if you want to start hunting in IL with deer or duck. You can't rifle hunt deer in Illinois but where can you duck hunt with a .308 rifle??? Also I'm not sure where you would get the idea that the .308 is too small to use in IL unless you read the regulation referring to handguns in IL which specifies minimum caliber of .357.

2. You say you have a Hunter Safety Class in a few weeks and I can't recommend strongly enough that you pay very close attention. Indiana and Wisconsin will recognize your completion of a Hunter Safety class in Illinois.

3. In Illinois you do not have to use a muzzleloader but it is one of several acceptable firearms for deer.

4. I do not know that a 12 gauge slug is more or less effective for hunting and successfully harvesting deer but I can say it is certainly say that both would be effective enough with proper use. As would other shotgun gauges such as 10,16 or 20.