HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - .243 for hogs
Thread: .243 for hogs
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2014, 12:14 PM
SecondChance
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Tnhunter444
Can't say I agree with the "any" CF right behind the ear will work thought. With many other things, just what size hogs AND also what sex they might be matters, whether some think so or not. A very large boar will have a shield of 1-2.5" and will affect any bullet from behind the ear to behind the shoulder.

Figuring hogs of 100 pounds or so, zero problem with any decent .243 load. Figuring hogs of 200- 500 pounds, not so simple, especially if they are boars. I've killed a very large boar that had a thick shield of no less than 2.5" and that also turned two bullets, 270gr JFN .44 mag loads from a Marlin Carbine and then required 3 more shots to kill him.

Again, small hogs are NOT difficult to kill. Large boars can be a chore and if they are not dead as you get close to check, you may have a surprise you weren't counting on or prepared to face.
I call BS!!!! A hog does not have a shield or gristle plate near the ear at all. It may extend somewhat up the upper shoulder area, but no where near the ear. And I got my information from the hundreds of hogs that I have killed from all over the South from Texas to Florida and in between!!!!! From 50lbs to over 400 lbs. Ear shot/ back of the head from above/behind, DRT!!!! No tracking. Shoot too far forward or low, another story. Using everything from 22 LR to 338 Lupua, 12ga, 20ga, 50 cal ML to knife. Pistols from 22 LR to 7mm BR. Both wild and domestic hogs. A 243 will drop them just fine if you do your part correctly.