HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - .243 for hogs
Thread: .243 for hogs
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2014, 10:04 AM
Topgun 3006
Giant Nontypical

Undergunned my rearend and if you know their structure you shouldn't/wouldn't have shot him where you did!!! I probably shot more hogs in Texas over about 20 years time on several low fence ranches, including several boars that were near 400#, than you've seen in your lifetime so don't tell me a .243 in the ear or slightly below won't kill a big hog. I also don't need to read a dissertation from you about the difference in sizes or sexes after seeing where you shot the boar, as any shot where Flags and I are talking about will do the job. The .243 Sako Forester I use is a tack driver and I used factory Sierra 100 grainers down there until I started to handload and went to the Hornady 100 grain BTSP. The last hog I shot down there in 2010 would never turn broadside and I shot him right between the eyes into his brain at 120 yards while he had his head down eating corn. He did just like Flags mentioned and flopped over dead with a couple twitches. The shot you made in that picture was not where it should have been and the bullet in the picture is an example of perfect expansion and if that bullet had been put below the ear it would have eliminated the other 4 shots you needed. This is that 2010 hog and 10 shots with that Sako!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 06-09-2015 at 07:28 PM.