HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - scope for .308
Thread: scope for .308
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2014, 10:38 AM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jandrey
.308 has significantly less recoil than 300 win mag so I figured I wouldn't need as great of eye relief and was hoping the vortex diamondback would be sufficient for this rifle.
I get it, you'd use a different knife to cut an apple than a pear...

Short eye relief scopes are of poor design. Extra long eye relief scopes have limitations as well. No need for an "extra long" relief scope on a .300win mag, and no reason to use a poorly designed short relief scope on a .308win. You're making up a problem (or alternatively, a benefit) that doesn't exist.

That's not to say there's anything particularly wrong with the Diamondback, although I think the Vortex fad has nearly ran its course. Nothing makes the VDB any better than many other options in its price class. They used to be a bit cheaper, and they were new, and a lot of guys lied in reviews saying they were as high quality as their Leupolds (maybe on par with the VX-1's or Rifleman's), so a bunch got sold. Check classified listings for optics, you'll find tons of Vortex's on the list. Nothing bad, but there's nothing particularly great either.