HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - SKS 762x39 for deer hunting?
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2003, 06:00 PM
akbound

Default RE: SKS 762x39 for deer hunting?

Lest we get started in a lot of " name calling" I' d like to add my two cents worth about something!

First, any firearm will kill people if used inappropriately, carelessly, (or even that matter in self defense....APPROPRIATELY!).

Second, the 2nd Admendment most specifically has NOTHING to do with sporting arms...and was intended to keep power in the " hands of the people" ....NOT government.

Third, and SKS used with appropriate ammunition, sighted properly, and used within its effective range WILL KILL DEER like any other rifles that are used as above.

Fourth, I took an oath to protect and defend the CONSTITUTION against ALL enemies, foreign and domestic.....and spent better than 20 years of my life living up to that oath.

Fifth, just because I retired from the U.S. Army, does NOT mean that I quit honoring that oath!

Now, before I P**S alot of people off.....I know that this forum is predominantly used by sportsmen/women. And that is fine. After all shooting and hunting are both a part of this nation' s heritage...and just about the best ways I know of relaxing. But I take afront to the notion that because a firearm has a " martial past" , or is a semiautomatic, or because it was previously associated with Eastern Block nations......some how it is a " PEOPLE KILLER" . And without qualification....that statement is NOT indicative of something negative. Let me pose this question to any who would disagree. If you were to use your favorite Remington 870, S&W Model 13, Ruger .44 Blackhawk, Marlin 1894, or _________(you fill in the blank), to successfully defend your life and the lives of your family members....would that then mean that YOUR PEOPLE KILLER was a BAD tool??? Would it then somehow become EVIL?

Firearms are tools! And like any tool they need to be used responsibly. And when they are not...they have the potential to " do wrong" . But let' s not paint with such a wide brush! A house divided falls! RESPONSIBLE gun ownership is the correct solution to the problem....NOT pointing fingers at someone else' s gun (as if it magically will jump up and start murdering innocent people) because of its design....and make the illogical jump to an erroneous conclusion!

And I' ll say it again.....just in the event someone missed it the first time. The 2nd Amendment was specifically about defense, (personal, societal, and as a whole population), NOT about SPORT!

P.S. As was already pointed out by another post. Use a good soft point, insure the rifle is sighted in, and limit your shots to probably no more than 150 yards or so and your SKS will be fine! (Check local laws governing use of semiautos and magazine capacity.)