HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Deer Hunting - Newbie Gun Question...
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2014, 06:29 AM
Tnhunter444
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by TripleB
I grew up hunting dove and rabbit with a shotgun...currently own two pistols but never a rifle.

Could someone please give me some information about guns (type, size, what I should be looking for, expected cost, etc.) that are typically used for deer hunting...but could possibly used for other types of hunting as well?

My son (soon to be 7) really wants to learn how to shoot a bow and arrow (so he's getting a set for his birthday) but I'm more of a gun man...although I may end up getting a used/cheap bow so I can learn with him.

Thanks for any and all help.

TripleB

Having experience hunting with a SG for small game, you at least have already had an introduction to recoil forces associated with typical moderate rifles' recoil forces. Knowing the area of the country where you'll be hunting would help with giving suggestions. I'd suggest some moderate cartridges ranging from a .243 through .308 as ones you might want to consider. If your area will be typical deer cover with shots of 25-150 yards or so, there's nothing wrong with the tried & true 30-30 (or similar) in a lever gun. Lots of those around for decent prices, both new & used.

A decent entry level bolt rifle such as a Ruger American or Marlin X7 can be purchased and topped with a decent quality scope for about $500 or so. Cartridges to look at in those rifles would include .243, 25/06, 7/08 and .308. These type cartridges open up your chances at longer ranges than the venerable 30-30, but longer ranges are seen more in "theory" than they are in actual hunting situations, IMO.

A lot of new hunters think high magnification is the way to go looking for a scope. In reality, a 2-7 or 3-9 will do pretty much anything needed for the deer hunting area, allowing for good FOV (Field Of View) at short ranges and plenty of magnification to reach the MPBR (Max Point Blank Range) of these type cartridges. Best thing to do is to get out and try to handle a good number of firearms finding those that feel "right" to you. It's not always best to pick something because someone else says it's a good deal or a good "fit" for you. Good Luck!