HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Turkey Hunting Gear
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2014, 08:34 AM
Mojotex
Nontypical Buck

If you are a novice, I'd suggest that you stick with a box call and a slate "pot" type friction call. These are easier on which to learn the 3 main calls that I use most ... cluck, purr and yelp. Other calls that are more difficult to master such as a glass pot, mouth diaphram type calls or a wing bone call take a good deal of practice .... which you may not have at this late date. You can find perfectly suitable box calls and pot calls in the $20 ea. range, however if you think you are in for the long haul, take a listen at Woodhaven's box and slate pot calls. Very nice sounding and not all that crazy priced.

I often use a locator call .... crow call works fine down here, as does an owl call. Either of these are relatively inexpensive and easy to use. And usually will fire up a Tom, especially early in the morning.

Unless you are going to be hunting where there is little natural cover, I'd forego the pup-up blind. I have one and I use it. But not that often. Way beyond too heavy to even consider when I am on the move trying to locate or close in on a gobbler. Snuggling up tight against natural cover, maybe helping hide with a brush blind .... usually is sufficient.

Decoys ... again any should do. The Avian brand decoys have really worked great for me. They are pretty realistic looking, but somewhat bulky ... but not cheap. Trouble I have had with the light weight, fold up type foam or plastic decoys is that I never found one that would unfold all that full.

One piece of advice ... don't over call. Once a gobbler responds, he knows where you are. Hard to tell you what constitutes over-calling. Each case is somewhat unique. I have Tom's come in hot footing it after the first few yelps. I have had to work a gobbler for hours to get it into range. I have had gobblers hang up 100-200 yards away despite every effort made to bring 'em in. It's a challenge to say the least and that is what keeps me at it!

And welcome to the craziness of turkey hunting. Good luck.