HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 300 wby for deer
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2014, 11:00 AM
buffybr
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by flags
...I suggest you shoot as many different weights and brands as you can and see what groups best in your rifle...Deer simply aren't that tough and any modern 30 caliber soft point from 130 grs up that you stick into a deer's chest will kill the deer...
My .300 Weatherby Vanguard shoots 168 and 180 gr Barnes TSX bullets sub moa. It shoots 168 gr TTSX bullets better. That is my hunting bullet in that rifle for everything from 40 lb African antelope to bull elk.

The original Barnes bullets had a copper fouling problem. I've shot hundreds of Barnes TSX and TTSX bullets in my .300 Weatherby and .375 RUM, and have never had any copper fouling problems.

My practice bullets for my .300 Wby are 168 gr Hornady BTHPs. They also shoot sub moa out to 400 m. I would not hesitate to hunt deer with them.

I've never seen a big game animal at 800 yds that I couldn't sneak to at least half that distance for my shot. Most of the time if I see an animal at 400 yds that I want to shoot, I'll sneak to half that distance and make my shot. But I'm not on TV trying to sell a long range shooting system.