HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Interesting article on BSA and Hi-Lux Scope
Old 02-07-2014, 05:34 AM
OpticsCamp
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by edwardCVAmason
i do know of one dealer that sells BSA scopes. Quite frankly he is in it for the money and could care less for the customers but they are high profit for him. He says he can't make but $10 on a $400 Leupold Scope because everyone watches the Online Cost of those but on BSA scopes they are so cheap no one watches the price on those. He says if they are cheap enough they buy them.

He also has a very high return rate on them. No problem he says. He just swaps them out and gets instant credit with his distributor. He sells as many as 10 a weekend.

Not a great way to do bussiness but it is one way to make a buck.
Sounds about right. The larger companies (not naming any names here) have some pretty complex corporate/distributor networks and it can make it hard to do business. But I could go to a half a dozen distributors within the hour and have a box of cheap BSA scopes shipped to my doorstep on Monday morning.

People buy cheap stuff all the time, which is good if you're a seller just looking to make money, but I don't understand the point if you can't stand behind the product you sell. If I experience a high return rate on any product, that means customers are unhappy, and I won't continue to stock it. There's a certain amount of integrity that I believe is essential to customer satisfaction, and if customers aren't happy, I'm not happy.

That's why you won't see BSA optics anywhere on my website.

I did speak with one of the guys at Hi-Lux when I was out at SHOT. Nothing really jumped out at me as excellent (then again I didn't spend much time tinkering with scopes at their booth). But I did like the idea behind their USMC sniper scope reproductions. I think it's a cool product.

There were tons of optics companies out there that claimed to own their own factory and manufacture their own products. So out of three booths with identical optics with different markings, which one is telling the truth? Probably none of them. The Chinese are making rifle scopes in 2014 like they were making everything else in Walmart during the early 2000s.

And 5 days being "well in advance?"