HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Does cammo really matter?
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2014, 08:03 AM
HatchieLuvr
Typical Buck

I began in the hunting/fishing retail biz when I was 14 in 1985 (in Memphis, TN. We were the first retailer for Mossy Oak in Memphis/Shelby County and one of the first with Real Tree and certainly were THE biggest "proshop" until BPS came into town in 1997.) and worked on and off in that biz (was my step-brothers) until I got out of it in 2006. The majority of camo is for the consumers eyes, NOT the games eyes! If it "looks right" in the eyes of the purchaser then it will sell. That is why the "Big 2" (Mossy Oak & Real Tree) are constantly adding "new patterns" every year or two. They must convince the consumer that they MUST HAVE the latest and greatest to be successful. (Success means SALES spelled "licensing/royalty income"!)

Breaking up your outline is a funny phrase created years ago to convince everyone that highly detailed camo was the ONLY way you could possibly do that! I don't care WHAT color/pattern you wear, if you are silhouetted against open sky or are wearing bright colors against a dark background, then your outline WONT be broken up! The only way you can truly achieve breaking up an outline (ESPECIALLY since most game is either full out color blind or at least doesn't see color EXACTLY like humans) is via 3d suits like leafy suits or gihillie suits. And if you are wearing such suits then what you have on under those suits means NOTHING!

As the OP stated, what good is head to toe camo when you then put a bright orange vest and hat over it???

The basic "earth tones" of olive, med browns, med grays etc are all that is needed in most cases! The BEST situation is to create a blind of some sort (either commercial or even better, from natural, local vegetation) to hide behind, especially in a tree stand. "Blending in" isn't nearly as important as REMAINING STILL! Movement is what game (ESPECIALLY big game) picks up on and usually ends up busting us over. (Well I'd say that is second to scent, but that's another discussion)

You keep your hands and face covered as well, keep the movement down to a minimum and use shadows and natural cover to conceal yourself and you'll have 99% of that problem licked and it wont require several hundred bucks or more worth of "professional camo"! (But the "industry" doesn't want anyone to hear that because it would put them out of work.) If commercial camo was required then how did men like Fred Bear, Ben Pearson, Ben Rogers Lee or Nash Buckingham SLAY the game decades before the advent of such???

HL

Last edited by HatchieLuvr; 02-06-2014 at 08:05 AM.