HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - First year duck hunting....
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2014, 09:52 AM
mrl0004
Fork Horn

Fast forward to this past weekend.....

Since this is the last weekend of duck hunting for the season here in Alabama, I tried to get my fix one last time. Another more experienced hunter agreed to help me learn the ropes. Got up at 1:30am, drove to the water, and about 3am headed out across the iced waters. We mostly had to bust our way across to our spot. Upon arriving, we were tasked with putting out a decoy spread and building a brush blind on the edge of the point. It was pretty cool to learn about the decoy spreads and building an impromptu brush blind. About 30 min before shooting light, it was time to relax, drink some coffee and enjoy the views.

The ducks were flying all over us. Most were too high, too far, or were on us and then gone so fast we weren't able to shoot. However, I did get a nice passing shot on a group and plucked out a hen gadwall. This is the 3rd duck I've killed in my life, so just the fact that it was a duck was exciting for me.

I shot at A LOT of ducks, but I was having about the same success rate (per shell fired) as dove hunting. I made a few adjustments and didn't miss the rest of the day. A nice drake redhead fell next....

Being new to duck hunting, I can identify a duck easily, but not to the point of what kind of duck just yet. I thought I shot a nice drake ringneck, but this will do...

You know it's cold when the spent shells started freezing together on the water.

The action slowed down considerably as the day went on, but there were birds flying all day for those willing to wait it out. Boats moving around all day helped us out by jumping up ducks. During the lulls, an itchy trigger finger was remedied by shooting coots that ventured temptingly close into the decoy spread.

After a long dry spell, we had another bird come in out of nowhere to the decoys. It turned out to be a hen scaup. Not sure if it's a greater or lesser, but more than likely the latter based on location.

After several more coots were shot, I had thought I had a pretty good day. I was halfway to my limit, plus 3 coots and a drake hooded merganser. I kept a close watch on the skies and sure enough, I saw a bird come around to my left cupping to come in. One shot and I had my first drake gadwall. As wary as these birds are on open water, especially at the end of the season, this bird made my day. Beautiful birds...

The pair....

We called it quits at the end of shooting light and almost 12 hours of actual hunting. After getting the decoys up and all the spent shells we could find, it was time to head back in for the day. This is how much ice still remained....

A great day on the water!

Got home late and after cleaning the birds, I completely crashed. What an ending to the season and a very exciting hunt for this newbie duck hunter. Can't wait for next year!