HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Turkey Hunt basics
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2014, 07:59 AM
Erno86
Nontypical Buck

Besides a diaphragm call, get a pot call. Get a good wooden crow call --- for shock gobbling --- or just call with your mouth and vocal cords. You'll want to sound like a crow that's just discovered an owl or a hawk --- keep it short --- caaaauw Caw Caw, sound angry; then listen for the gobble. Use your deepest vocal cord while crow calling with a call. I've had them shock gobble with a pileated woodpecker call. A peacock call might work...but plug your ears with your fingers while using a pileated or peacock call. Some hunters use a goose call. Learn to call a barred owl hooty-hoot with just your mouth and vocal cords. A hawk call might work.

Learn to purr with your mouth and vocal cords. Learn to shoot right and left handed. Wear blaze orange and safety glasses while walking thru the woods. Buy a blaze orange net carry bag with a sling for your harvested gobbler, so you can safely carry it out of the woods. Put on a blaze orange cap while retrieving your downed but possibly still flopping around gobbler. Don't try to grab the legs of a flopping long spurred gobbler or he'll possibly just rip your arms and hands to shreds. I just like to step on his head and neck; but he'll still try to spur you.

Get a camo net that has foldable sticks that can stick in the ground, that has enough clearance for your shotgun/bow; or just use wooden clothes pins so you can attach the net to a bush or small saplings.

Buy a turkey vest that comes with a seat, or just sit on your daypack. The camo Howard Leight's amplified/electronic noise shutdown ear muffs work pretty good for me; since they amplify sounds 125%.

Last edited by Erno86; 01-25-2014 at 08:52 AM.