HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Knight Disc Extreme
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2014, 03:13 PM
pooldoc
Fork Horn

I shoot MZ only and have 3 Knights; a Long rang hunter, a master hunter and a disc elite. All have target triggers, good scopes and the LRH has been glass bedded and the other 2 have composite stocks. All 3 have Lehigh bare primer breech plugs. My base loads all start with 110 gr(vol) of BH 209, CCI 209M primers and Harvester Crush Rib sabots(black or yellow depending on bullet choice). By a small margin the 300 gr Harvester PT Gold is my most accurate load, followed closely by the Hornady 300 gr SST bullet and the 290 gr Barnes Spit Fire TMZ boat tail. All 3 produce 1 inch or better groups @ 100 yds. My LRH with the Harvester bullet has produced a .297 inch 3 shot group at a 100 yds. The deer where I hunt in S. Texas have smaller bodies than elsewhere, so I've been using the SST the last 3 years with great results. I use the other 2 bullets for larger deer, elk etc. I have no hesitancy in taking a 175 yd. shot, but you're really pushing the envelope after that. I prefer to pass a good animal beyond 200 yds that wound it and spend 2 days tracking it. If u want to shoot much at that range you need to spend a lot of range time and experiment with what your rifle shoots best. Ballistic tables are no substitute for bench time and lots of note taking. Good luck