HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - okay..so how about this...
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2014, 01:31 PM
OpticsCamp
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by macknnc
the ones I am replacing are some "standard" (I forget exactly) Nikon 7x35s....I still have my Nikon 7x50s...but I want a regular old binoc to use for hunting...but I want at least 8 power...or even 9...the 7x50sare good but awfully bulky...(they are my favorite glasses for watching the birds and squirrels at the feeders though..)

My written info is very very dated...O'Connor, Tom Brakefield...so with that $300 price tag in mind..what do you suggest?

Oh yeah...this is probably important..I don't want "mini' binocs and I do were glasses...at this stage of my life..very strong ones...(bifocals)
A knockaround pair of 7x50s are always good to have. I have a set in my office and they're usually one of the first ones I grab when I need a look at something. But you're right, they can be bulky

Some info in this thread, the topic is different but my advice would be the same: http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/opti...inoculars.html

Glasses give you a choice, you can either flip them up on your forehead and let the binoculars do the work (focused accordingly) or keep the eye cups in the lowest position and use them with glasses. Either way works, but I also wear glasses occasionally and find it more comfortable to let the binoculars do the work.

What's more important, field of view, low light performance, power, fit and finish? There's tons of options in the $200-$300 price range. At $300, there's no reason you can't get something ED or HD with the expected waterproofing/fogproofing/armor durability of the Steiners that is more appropriate for the type of hunting you do, whatever that is.