HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - okay..so how about this...
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2014, 12:05 PM
OpticsCamp
Fork Horn

What model are you replacing? What kind of hunting are you doing? What are you expecting from your binoculars?

Actually, yes, I can think of a reason these may not be good for you. The "auto focusing" actually means fixed focus. You focus those binoculars at the eyepieces, at which point you're done. There's no diopter, there's no focus knob, no need to adjust because the depth of field allows you to "focus" your eyes.

But, that can be limiting. You have a close focus distance of about 60 feet or so. Your eyes might have trouble focusing if you have less than ideal eyesight. In cases where you do need to see something inside that minimum focus distance (brow tines in brush inside 20 yards?), you'll spend more time messing with the eyepieces to independently focus.

Good news is that there's less moving parts so you're less likely to break something.

Fixed focus binos have their place, usually on boats, or wide open areas where there's rarely a need for close focus. I'm sure they work and are worth the money, but I think there's a reason for the fact that there's very few fixed focus binoculars geared towards hunting.