HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Steiner Predator xtreme binoculars
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2014, 02:50 PM
edwardCVAmason
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by OpticsCamp
German engineered binoculars built in China by a company owned by Americans that is owned by Italians. (Steiner > Burris > Beretta)

I've never used them, but the idea of using optical coatings to contrast specific objects to make game stand out seems a little hokey. For a lens coating to do that to a point that it makes an appreciable difference, it has to severely affect light transmission (you're amplifying certain wavelengths by downplaying others). Can't see that contrast if you can't see what you're looking at in the first place.

The only review I can find that says the coatings "work" is by a guy who claims they're more fogproof because they have argon and nitrogen purging (it doesn't work that way). So I've written that one off.

Slight difference in contrast? I'm sure. Worth buying on that feature alone? Eh. For $350, you can get a better performing binocular with ED or HD glass without a marketing gimmick.
There was a time where I went on a buying spree with Stiener Binos. The tecnology at the time was really cutting edge and the best at the time for the money. They were rugged, dependable and I must say the coolest looked binos I have ever seen.

I have been getting rid of all mine in favor of the much better ED and HD glass that is available out there at Budget prices.