HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Crossbow advice please.
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2014, 06:15 AM
Cossack
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bugflipper
A bit of a stretch, I don't really consider it that. It's clear that recurve limbs will give better accuracy. That's why every national title is held by them. It just so happens that excal is the major brand that makes non compounds. With accuracy it's one's prospective of how good it is. Lots of them being accurate at 50 is a blanket statement. Name some compounds that can ruin arrows at 50. In case you didn't get the meaning striking one arrow with another hitting the shaft with normal consistency.

That is going to be hard pressed to make a list with lots since arrows can overcome inconsistencies at close range yet cam timing, the biggest obstacle for a compound crossbow really starts rearing it's ugly head at the 30-35 yard line, depending on head, vane and spine of coarse. Sorry if that came off as argumentative. By the way which company do you work for?
Have a good day.
This isn't my first rodeo, bug. been hunting with a crossbow for years. I know too well what a 'Robin Hood' is but no longer shoot for groups becasue of the expense and because it only proves one's stupidity.
Both my Parker and Mission crossbows can do it. My Vortex too but the trajectory of my Phoenix is so steep that a sure hit on the target itself - at 50 yards - is iffy. It's a wonderfully accurate and durable bow; just not at 50 yards. Ergo, not (all) Excaliburs are minute of gnats arse accurate at 50 yards.
Moreover, none of the 3 Excals I've owned had a trigger anywhere near the light, crisp (stock) trigger in my Mission, until I worked them.I give credit where credit is due.
BTW, I'm retired full time with no past or present connections, either financial or emotional, to any brand. I shoot multiple brands of rifles and handguns; crossbows too.
I shoot and maintain what works and I like, and definitely feel that no one implement is the answer to all my shooting needs.

"Only accurate guns (and bows) are interesting." Townsend Whalen.