HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - It' s Done, my Elk season 2003
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2003, 07:22 PM
BareBack Jack
Nontypical Buck

Default It' s Done, my Elk season 2003

Well it' s Sunday night and I' m running on empty.
I didn' t get off work on Friday till 4:30 pm,on the road to camp and I arriver around 11:30 pm that night.
We got up at 3:30 am ate,saddled the horses rechecked the gear and the horses.We road an hour and a half to our ambush site and waited.At about 6:15 am I could see a bull and 4 cows grazing across the meadow,by shooting light they were gone.I took that as a good sign.We sat there a few more hours dozing off and on,one of us keeping an eye out.Around 8:30 I heard a cow talking,I looked around and could not see anything,well about 20 min. latter I looked across tto the other side and I,right there in front of us was 60 head coming our way.I wispered to my brother in law and the 2 other guys we had elk coming our way.I found a bull on the far right side of the heard got a rest and squezzed.My .300 BOOMED and THHHWAK he droped to his knees lunged and took of running, by this time the 2 other guys were shooting.I see a cow go down and then another.I shot twice more and on my last shot I hit him high in the back and down,push' in his chest with the back legs.He slid in to some sapplings and stopped.
He is not the big 350 class bull I saw in the morning,but he' s my bull and he will bring food to the table all year.He is a 5x4 rag.He was alot of work to get 1/4 and loaded but we got it done.
We had him,the 2 cows 1/4 and loaded by 11:30 and walked out and back to camp and a nice hot cup of joe and a few more photos by 3:00 pm.
I dropped him off at the butchers and the 4 quaters and head weighed in at 578 lbs.
I took my sister and her husband deer hunting to day,so I' m just pooped out after her buck,and her husdans two does.I thank all who talk on hear and share info,it all helped on my hunt.
By the way I got my bull(did I mention that yet),next comes that big white-tail buck that has haunted my dreams for a year.
I' m going to bed.BBJ