HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New Vortex Crossbow scope!
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2014, 11:24 AM
craig
Fork Horn

The 75 yd parallax setting is a compromise IMO, I'd have rather seen it set at 40-50 yds for xbow hunting, as opposed to target shooting at 100+ yds.
While I do like to practice part of the time out at 60-80 yds, some like to shoot waaay out there with their xbows. So I do agree with you on extreme range shooting with what is still archery gear.

The guru of xbows at the shop I bought my Scorpyd has taken deer at up to 75 yds with his Vent. 150. If I owned the shop, I'd put a stop to his telling new guys about such shots. I've shot target with this guy & he's got a almost spooky touch with his Vent @ extreme ranges. I'm not impressed by his being able to sight the bow for those distances, top shelf arrows & just set the scope for the needed elevation. But his skills at judging a crosswind are very impressive. BUT it is at best a very poor form of advertisement & at worst some of those new guys are going to be try'n to do the same thing, without the skills needed.........and frankly they'll wound far, far more than they cleanly kill. Not good for the game animals & terrible image for crossbow shooters in general. I've told the guy to his face that he shouldn't pump up new guys with such ideas, but ya might as well talk to a rock.

While I've never taken a long shot like that on game I do like the idea of much better quality optics for Xbows than most in the market now. Brighter, sharper images are always a advantage. It's my hope that a future release will be more along the lines of a 2-7X36 or perhaps a 2-8X40, but with a 50 yd parallax setting. To me a 2-8x40 would be ideal. Lighter weight, a better parallax setting & still more than enough magnification, to me, for target shooting I do.

I also hope to see other companies take note of Votex's higher quality product selling well & introduce other scopes that will also improve our choice of higher quality scopes.

Have a great day & a wonderful new year!