HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Indiana Hunting Rifle Cartridge Change
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2014, 04:10 AM
d80hunter
Nontypical Buck

I live near Columbus Indiana and everyone is getting out their high powered rifles for coyote hunting and putting up there shotgun, muzzleloaders, and pistol caliber rifles from deer season. I find the current rules odd. Adding at least 30/30 and 35 Remington would be a good addition or splitting the state up like Michigan and allowing more rifles in the south.

In the central and northern parts of Indiana houses are too close. I had many 250 yard opportunities on some deer on the edge of a cut corn field. My legal Indiana weapon will not kill a deer that far. However, unseen but known to me and behind the deer was 150 yards of woods, then a road lined up with houses. That is why a .308 could be dangerous and the laws are like they are. In the hilly southern parts the land is far more wooded, more hilly, and less developed. A high powered rifle would work.

An old friend of the wifes from Colorado came this year. When I went hunting in my backyard for deer, she was used to hunters packing up and leaving town to more remote places to hunt. Presumably away from developed areas and in the mountains. I have only fished up there and the land is clear of homes in places as far as the eye can see. That is not Indiana. If I could jump 500 yards I could probably find a house to leap to all the way to Indianapolis, Ohio, Michigan, and Illinois. Not Kentucky likely.