HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What am I doing wrong--Green Swamp--
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2013, 03:06 PM
LoloBond
Spike

Redbike22: You are correct in terms of the game at the swamp. Believe it or not is one of my favorite WMAs but because I've been hunting a North Florida lease for the past 2 seasons I haven't been there in a while. I started there in 2006 with no knowledge of the area and no knowledge of hunting at all (I never hunted deer or hogs before) since I live in the Tampa area and is the closet to my house.

The first 2 years I didn't see anything, not a single living thing. However, I spent on average 75 days of hunting there per year, sometimes camping for 14 days straight. I sat from 5 am until dark, nothing. I made a lot of friends there and some of them gave me good pointers. The third year I also hunted 70+ days and saw a few deer and killed a 95 pound sow. The fourth season (2010) I killed 3 sows in 4 days, 185, 105 and 85#s. I also spent 70+ days there.

What I learned is that, you need to stay with one area and learn it very well. Similar to you, I hunt Orange lake and I walk 1 1/2 from the parking area. I have well over 20 spots where I see hogs all the time. I've also seen nice deer including an big 8pt I was unable to shoot.

Look for areas where wet (swamp) and dry (bay heads, oaks) meet. Around those areas look for clearings in the middle of the thick stuff (no matter how small they look. I don't know why, but game like those spots. I had a camera there in 2011, although I didn't hunt the swamp that year, and had a lot of game hitting that small clearing to get between the wet and dry grounds.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsHRKE9J4EI

Hope this help.

Last edited by LoloBond; 12-31-2013 at 03:11 PM.