HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - My first elk. Dec. 27.
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2013, 02:00 PM
moosehunter30
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
1---Baloney!!! The rifle might be a tack driver on paper, but that doesn't mean squat when shooting a running animal at 500 yards. You dang sure aren't shooting AT the animal at that yardage to hit it when it's running!
2---IMHO the other pictures served no purpose, but to each his own.
3---That's nice!

Now as to your retort about him not knowing where it was hit. You didn't either at 600 yards and if was standing there that long IMHO it should have immediately been shot again without waiting for another animal to be wacked at running before finishing the job. As Big Uncle stated in his post, not only does stuff like this make me cold, but it also shows a lack of respect for both animals in this case! No need to reply because you've already proved with your other answers that you aren't among the biggest percentage of hunters by doing what you did. I wonder which animal went down that was running compared to what was being attempted at that distance.
This rifle has a muzzle break and has very minimal recoil. It's like shooting a .223 Rem. The animal never left my scope when the shot went off and I also had a friend watching through binoculars, so yes we all knew where she was hit (behind the shoulder done deal). Also when I skinned it out you could clearly see the entrance wound, so again I do know where all 3 shots hit. At the 500 yard mark there were 3 elk running. The front one being a yearling, the middle one being an adult cow, the back one being a yearling. My dad picked out the big one in the middle and she dropped. There you have it lol there was no wondering which one he hit when the middle one dropped. I'm sure taking long shots may not be accepted everywhere; however, in my area of the world it's becoming more accepted every day with the technology and equipment available to hunters. As to your reply about "not aiming AT the animal running at that distance" clearly a good lead was required. Opinions are like *******s, everyone has one. I respect your opinion, but I don't remember asking for it? I also have my own opinions on ethics and I reserve the right to have it Happy New Year