HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What am I doing wrong--Green Swamp--
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2013, 10:41 AM
redbike22
Spike

Default What am I doing wrong--Green Swamp--

This is my 3rd year hunting at Green Swamp. I typically enter on the Rock Ridge side but I have tried the 471 side in the past. I live in Pinellas. Typically, I wake up at 3am on the day that I wish to hunt. I shower in d'ead down wind shower soap'. I put on my Realtree AP camos that are washed in DDW detergent, air dried outside, and then sealed in a plastic garage tote. I usually get to Green Swamp gate at about 5-515am. I choose a spot, usually near the river (either side) or Orange Lake. I walk in, using my headlamp. I ALWAYS choose a different spot/tree for my stand, and I try to get in the thickest stuff I can find. I've hunted the clearings. I've hunted the bayheads (or at least what I interpret them to be.) I've hunted the palmettos. Sometimes I sit in my stand all day--pre-sunrise to dark. Literally all day, except for maybe climbing down, walking 200 hundred yards or so, and peeing (girls can't pee into water bottles too well). Other days I stay in my stand until noon, return to my vehicle to eat, and then walk deeper into the woods or go sit again...I've seen ONE doe in 3 years. I've seen lots of turkeys, lots of squirrels, and a bobcat. NO hogs, NO deer, although the hog sign is just ridiculous out there, to the point that I think the hogs tear it up all night and literally become invisible during the day. I think I am quiet. I walk slowly to my spots, taking many stops along the way to listen and observe. I hunt during the week, and sometimes I hunt on weekends. I just don't seem to have any luck, but each time I come home, it's like I can't wait to try it again. Some kind of crazy addiction. I'm very frustrated and often people tell me to "go someplace new" and "stop wasting your time." Somewhere inside, though, I can't help but think GS has a lot of game---I would be thrilled to just get a shot at a buck or a hog. Can ANYONE help me out? I must be doing something wrong, but at this rate, I am never going to figure it out. Thanks for reading!