HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Shed Antler Traps
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2013, 02:28 PM
Topgun 3006
Giant Nontypical

Lunkerdog---Looking for naturally shed antlers is one thing, but this is another and stretches that. Mother Nature causes a bucks testosterone level to gradually decrease to the point where the pedicel no longer supports the antler and it falls off. Doing what is suggested is really contrary to what nature intends, but it probably isn't going to do any real harm if the design of the contraption doesn't leave a chance that a buck that's not ready to drop gets caught in it. The contraption shown in the link that's anchored to a tree looked like the latter is possible. Maybe it is and maybe it isn't. I, and others, have stated that using methods that may entrap an animal that isn't ready to drop shouldn't be used. It is so bad now with people wanting to find sheds that some western states have had to ban people from the wintering grounds because they were actually running animals around trying to get the antlers to drop off and it really stresses them in a vulnerable time when they need to be resting to make it through the winter. I can't rememebr which state it is, but in one a test actually has to be passed and a shed antler license also obtained to lessen what I mentioned.

Guys, I've taken this to PMs as this has become absolutely ridiculous and off track by a previous poster when what he has stated is not true. I called the thing a contraption for lack of a better term and he knows nothing more about it looking at the picture than I do, but to listen to him it's his invention! This is the same crappola he pulled a few days ago with Skinnner wanting to argue about the words "mistake" compared to "accident" when it was not necessary for the thread, just like his posts attacking me here are not necessary. Forums are going to have differing opinions on things and it would be nice if everyone would understand that and not get their panties in a wad!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 12-30-2013 at 03:04 PM.