HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Sold on wet tumbling with SS pins.
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2013, 05:49 PM
HDMontana
Typical Buck

Default Sold on wet tumbling with SS pins.

So Santa brought me a Harbor Freight wet tumbler for Christmas so I could try this method out. The brass I tried in it was once fired 45ACP brass that had already been tumbled for 4 hours in a walnut/corncob dry media. Flash holes were cleaned out by hand.

The Harbor Freight dual drum tumbler.

1 pound of stainless steel pins in each drum.

75 of the once fired 45ACP brass in each drum.

Added water to abount an inch or so above the brass. Then added 4 drops of Dawn dish soap and 1/8 teaspoon of lemi-shine. Tumbled for 4 hours.

Before pictures.

After pictures.
I could not believe how dirty the water was. I used a RCBS enclosed media separator to get pins out of the brass. Filled it with water until it came up into the cage and rotated it to allow the water to wash out the pins. Next I emptied the water and threw a couple of paper towels in with the brass and rotated again to help dry the brass a little. I think this also helps prevent any extra water spots. Then put the brass out on the bench to dry. I had been researching this cleaning method and had seen the before and after pictures, but you almost can't believe what a difference it makes until you try it yourself. I know that having brass this clean is not needed but I like being able to find my brass easier after shooting and also to see powder levels in the brass easier. HD.