HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - abnormal antlers
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2013, 06:34 AM
Topgun 3006
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by rockport
So what we are talking about here is a guy putting a tag that is valid for a deer with antlers 2 7/8 inches long on a deer with a 3" antler and admitting it was a mistake?

***It's not as simple as that Sir! It took me less than one minute to find the MO description for a buck, including pictures that says "less than 3" requires a doe tag and 3" or more has to be tagged as a buck with his one buck tag that is issued for firearms season. If it's that simple to find, why didn't the OP know what he could and could not shoot and tag in his own state that he's hunted for at least ten years according to his post? The OP still will not say for certain what tag(s) he had when asked repeatedly, but finally chose to come back with his retorts to me after you started ragging on me again. If he had a doe tag or tags, neither of those animals could be legally tagged with them. The one buck tag MO issues for firearms season should have been used on the 3" first deer and he was done for the year as far as buck hunting. Not knowing his own state laws, or maybe even intentionally, he went back out and shot a second buck that may or may not have been properly tagged, as we dont know what that tag was good for. Are you getting my drift?

Then he shot a 2nd deer with a 6 inch spike and put his any deer tag on it.

***We do not know if it was an "any" deer tag, but he certainly used it as such. See above. If he was hunting within the county where he lives that has a 4 point restriction for his one buck limit, then that deer was also POACHED. That is why I'm/we're making such a big deal out of this. These are serious wildlife violations. One guy from MI just got ticketed because he was carrying his notched tag in his pocket as he brought his legal deer to his vehicle and the law now says it had to be attached immediately after the kill. The law had changed to the latter and he got a ticket for not knowing what the law was. That was certainly not nearly as serious as this situation, but he got a ticket for not knowing the law.

Seeming the big crime here is that the guy thought the law was antlers up to 3" rather than less than 3"

***Again, it took me one minute to find what MO classifies as a buck and it's very clear and even has pictures. If a NR can find what the law says that easy, the MO resident should sure know what he can and can't shoot and how to tag them. That is one of the first requirements to hunt besides the safety factors involved in the sport. You keep referring to it as a "big crime" mocking me and the others like it was really nothing to worry about. It was not a serious crime when comparing it to murdering a human, but it is in wildlife laws because one or both of those deer would be considered as poaching if you don't have a legal tag for the animal you shoot whether it's in or out of an open season.

With all the accusations and the guy probably caught off guard a little with the interrogation act I'm not really sure what happened.
***The OP was probably caught off guard because he didn't think about the ramifications of posting what he did on the net where people that do know the law could look into what he asked and see that he violated the law once, if not twice. IMHO we all need to watch for these types of things in order to keep our sport clean and above reproach. I'm not going to turn the guy in to the authorities, but IMHO he should man up and do it himself if he's the ethical person he says he is.