HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - abnormal antlers
View Single Post
Old 12-25-2013, 03:49 AM
2eagles
Fork Horn

Default easier regs in Iowa

If a deer has no forked antler, put an antlerless tag on it. You guys are giving this guy grief, maybe for reason, but if we had a picture of this deer, maybe you would back off a little.
Here's a picture of a buck that fooled me. I was hunting private property where the land owner only wanted does shot. M-loader shot at about 60 yards. Light ok, late afternoon. In timber. Deer came out around some trees, looking almost directly at me. Ears up and alert. The picture shows the right side. The left side was only a mass of "bone" about 3 inches in diameter and 3/4 of an inch high. Now look at that antler..... The top is light colored and hid real nice in front of the ear which is also light colored. The dropped part is dark colored and tucked along the darker colored face. I simply didn't notice the rack and killed the deer. When I rolled him over to field dress him and saw nuts, I was very surprised. Because of obvious bad genes, the land owner was glad I got him out of the woods. I put my any sex tag on him and was legal. Give me grief if you want, but the same thing would probably happen to you.