HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Finally Scored On A 10-Pointer Yesterday Morning!!! (pics)
Old 11-09-2003, 01:02 PM
HANKFAN

Default Finally Scored On A 10-Pointer Yesterday Morning!!! (pics)

Well I finally got a chance at a mature 10 pointer yesterday morning here in West Virginia. This story all started in early September when I found a great funnel with a string of velvet rubs about 2 miles back into the timber. I returned a few days later and set up my deer cam on the trail to see if I could get a picture of the buck that was using the area. Well sure enough I got 2 pictures of the buck that was using the funnel. I set up a stand in the funnel and stayed out of the area. I started to hunt the stand in the early season but since it was such a great spot I decided to wait until November to hunt the stand. Yesterday morning I snuck into the stand to see if I could catch the buck sneaking through the funnel on his way to checking out the near by doe bedding areas. I hadn' t seen a deer until 10 am. At 10 am I heard a deer come running off the ridge straight in front of me wide open. The deer was on pins and needles and was jumpy as heck. The buck came through the funnel and stopped broadside 32 yards in front of me and was looking back up the way he had came. I took the shot and the shockwave hit a little high and spine shot the buck. He ran 60 yards before dropping. After looking at the deer he has been in one heck of a fight. The end of his right main beam is broke as well as his G-1 and G-3 tines are broke. From the way the deer was running down the hill I would assume that another mature buck ran him off the hill. I thought it was cool to find this bucks early season velvet rubs, find the funnel he was using, get 2 deer cam pictures of him and then harvest him the first morning on stand. Now if it would always work out like that!!!!

Here is one of the deer cam pics I got:

Here he is after he got a little to close to the Hoyt Razortec: