HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Michigan DNR citation
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2013, 03:32 PM
Topgun 3006
Giant Nontypical

Below is the current requirement for tagging that I copied/pasted from the DNR website. It is completely different than what used to be allowed ever since I started deer hunting here in MI in 1963 and I'm a retired MI Dept of Ag Law Enforcement Investigator that has always done what you did so as not to lose the tag until I got to camp or my truck. They have always made you notch your tag immediately after the kill, but did not require you to attach it to the animal until you got it back to camp or your vehicle. Was the animal still in the field or had you put it in your vehicle when you were checked and ticketed for it not being tagged? It sounds like it was the latter and if that ls the case you may be up the creek without a paddle! I see they have even changed the way they want a turkey tagged with a wire, etc. instead of wrapping the tag with the sticky side around the leg like I have been doing right up through the bird I took last Spring. It would seem that when they make a major rule change like tagging that they would notify all of us sportspersons with a supplemental paper when the license is issued because I can guarantee you that 90% of the people do not read all the stuff that's in a lawbook to check for a change like that. Unless you had it in the vehicle where it should have been tagged, I'd go to court with your plea or change it to "No Contest" with your explanation telling the Judge you did not know the requirement had changed, just like I didn't until I read this thread. Good luck and I would at least give it a try IF the deer was still in the field like the old law allowed until back at camp or in the vehicle! Also, I'd sure like to know what the deal was for the visit at your son's house, as that certainly doesn't sound kosher and I think he handled it properly by politely telling the guy to take a hike!!!

Tagging Big Game
Immediately after killing a deer, bear, wolf, elk or turkey, you must validate your
kill tag and fasten it to the antler, lower jaw or lower leg in such a manner that the
tag remains securely attached to the animal. Do not stick or wrap the kill tag to
the antler of a deer or to the leg of a turkey. The best way to attach a kill tag is to
lay a strong piece of wire or cord across the sticky side of the kill tag so the tag
can be folded in half. Tie the wire or cord to the animal. Make sure the kill tag is
completely legible and visible for inspection. The kill tag must remain attached
until you process or butcher the animal, or the animal is accepted for processing
and recorded by a commercial processor or taxidermist.
Note: If the antlers or head are returned to the person submitting the animal to the
commercial processor, the kill tag shall accompany the head or antlers.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 12-21-2013 at 03:46 PM.