HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New to Hunting 1 question
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2013, 06:01 AM
mac266
Fork Horn

To the OP:

Go to Walmart or any sporting goods store. They will have a big rack of that year's hunting laws, usually in pamphlet form, for the type of game you're hunting (big game, small game, waterfowl, etc). Grab one and read it; they're usually free. It will tell you when hunting seasons are each year for each species, what firearms are allowed, etc.

While you're there ask about Hunter Safety courses (some states call them Hunter Education). Each state, to my knowledge, requires you to take the course before buying a license. Even if they don't require it, it would be a good idea.

What are you going to start off hunting? You should learn the species and how to hunt it long before you ever go into the woods. Each one is different! Here in Colorado we have the blessing of multiple species of big game -- deer, antelope, black bear, elk, big horn sheep (2 sub-species!), mountain lions, and mountain goats. Of those, I only know how to hunt deer, antelope, and bear, because each one is different! I've hunted elk, but I wouldn't say I know how

Consider starting off with small game. Squirrels are good eating and easy to learn to hunt. I've never hunted in Florida but surely you have squirrels down there! Rabbits usually require a dog to hunt with, but I've hunted without them.

Waterfowl are a game unto their own. These are hunted with shotguns, not rifles, despite what Hillary Clinton claimed a few years ago (yes, she "went duck hunting with a rifle"). Surely florida, with all its water, has a good duck season! You'll need a boat or blind and a bunch of decoys. A good mentor is a must.

If you don't own any firearms yet, make sure you match the gun you buy with the game you'll be hunting. A .30-06 to hunt rabbits would be a great deer gun, but you're a moron if you hunt rabbits with it! Some states don't allow deer hunting with centerfire rifles, requiring shotguns with slugs, so don't buy anything until you know your state's laws.

Buy a book or two (or check them out from the library) on the game species you'll be hunting. Then find a mentor.

Have fun!