HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Michigan DNR citation
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2013, 10:20 AM
Kathwacckkk
Fork Horn

I notch the tag, secure to a piece of rope and notch the animals ear where I am going to secure the tag. I keep the tag in my pocket however during the drag out. I have been stopped by the DNR during drag out and asked why the animal is not tagged. I replied, that I have lost tags dragging deer out of the woods and then I am poaching. The tag is going to be affixed right to this spot as soon as I get it to the truck. Officer looked at the punched tag and said it is supposed to be on the animal, but just make sure it gets there when you reach the truck.

I guess it all depends on who you get. I have a feeling that there is more going on in your area then you realize. Anit-hunters can call the DNR and report shooting at night. That will bring the DNR out pretty quick. Just sounds like a lot of law enforcement activity for an improperly tagged animal. Remember, in Michigan this year a tag wrapped around the antler is considered improperly tagged and the tag is supposed to be considered void as they cannot read the information. Depends on the C.O. whether or not that would get you the citation.

I would fight it. You have nothing to lose. Sir, the tag was punched, wrapped around a rope and the deer's ear notched. I did not want to loose the tag when dragging the deer out.