HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Head Shots to Take Or Not to Take
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2013, 05:56 PM
Topgun 3006
Giant Nontypical

I presume I was the one the OP referenced regarding stupid head shots and the reason is very simple. The brain is what must be hit when doing that and it is no bigger than a baseball on an ungulate. Some that do it say that they can shoot one hole groups and ones that can't are the ones that say don't take head shots. To that I say BS because you may shoot one hole groups on paper because that paper target doesn't move, while the head can move at the instant the shooter squeezes the trigger. That either results in a clean miss or, much worse, a wounded animal that probably won't be found and may be left to suffer a slow, painful, lingering death. A shot to the large vitals area is a very high percentage shot that doesn't lose enough meat on an ungulate to even matter and even if an animal moves a little at the shot you'll still kill it. If the animal isn't DRT when a person aims at the head they probably chalk it up as a miss, when in actuality they may have wounded that animal. My guess is that most people who process their own animals at home or do the gutless method in the field probably don't even mess with the rib meat anyway.