HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Shoulder shot doe
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2013, 04:31 PM
thomaswh23
Spike

Default Shoulder shot doe

I shot a doe, who was broadside to quartering away at 18 yds tonight at 430p tonight (65lbs with a 100 grain Killzone 2 blade). I heard a loud pop and saw the doe move away (not running but at a fast walking pace) with the arrow sticking out. Shot looked to be in the shoulder She moved to thicket about 40yds from the shot and I never saw her come out. About 15 minutes later a small buck comes in and jumps her up and pushes her away while sniffing her rear. She walks away looking hurt and moves to another thicket about 30yds away. The buck follows her into the thicket and then leaves alone.

I climb down 30 minutes later and find NO blood or hair at the impact area. I follow the trail she used and about 15 yds away find my arrow. About 6" of the arrow stayed inside her and about 3" of the broken shaft is covered in blood and hair. I go to the area where she bedded down and find the first drops of blood. It is bright red(no bubbles) and isn't pouring out but it's easy to follow by flashlight towards the second thicket. As I approached I thought I heard something and I shut my light off. I walked about 10 steps to the right and turned my light on towards the thicket. I saw a set of eyes and the deer looked to be bedded (not sure if it was my deer or another one). I shut my light off and snuck back to the truck.

Going back in the morning. What are the chances that deer will be dead in that bed?