HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Michigan DNR citation
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2013, 02:50 PM
captdave12
Spike

Default Michigan DNR citation

I was cited the second to last day of firearm deer season for not immediately tagging a deer. Admission, I did not, I did notch the tag, but was worried about a long drag out and losing the tag. Had it in my pocket. First time in 15 years of hunting, I encounter a DNR officer. Cited me, a misdeamenor and $200 fine. I pleaded not guilty, as to keep my options open. Should I just man up and pay it, put up with the misdeamenor on my record? In addtion, just to add to the situation, my son who was hunting near by was visited by a DNR officer tonight at his home inquiring as the situation that night. He was taking an on line timed LSAT test and told the officer, call ahead, he did not have time to chat.

I know I was supposed to, just plain forgot, I know that sounds lame, but the excitement of a deer and the long drag, just forgot. I did notch the tag, DNR officer said I could have re-used tag, yeah, if I dragged out a warm deer the next day with a day old tag.

I have been doing a little research, this probably is a minimal fine, the misdeamenor thing is irritating, not like I was dealing drugs, shoplifting etc. Just need opinions, no lectures. Thanks