HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - If it could go wrong it did go wrong!!!
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2013, 07:47 AM
Blackpowdersmoke
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sdhunter11
maybe I should case the gpr and let it ride in the back of the pickup on the way out to the woods and let it cool down before loading?
That wouldn't hurt. I usually take my ML out onto the deck or put it in the garage for a bit before heading out to let the steel acclimate to really cold temps and I do keep mine in a hard case in the pick up bed when going to and from my hunting areas. One thing I never do is bring the gun into a warm environment with a load in the barrel once I've been out in the cold. I lock mine in the shed or garage and leave it at the ambient temperature if I'm going to be hunting again in a day or so. Your chances of having condensation contaminate a load are much greater coming from cold to warm than vice versa. Think of it like this...if you are wearing glasses and you leave your warm house or vehicle and go out into the cold air, they don't fog up, but come out of the cold and back into the warm house and you'll be wiping them off in seconds.

BPS