HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 1 hour into season...
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2013, 03:42 PM
Smokin Dee Licous
Spike

Originally Posted by UncleNorby
Glad you got your deer.

But, from your story, I think you need to reconsider how you are sighted in. You did say you aimed low (or somehow adjusted the sight) because the shot was 40 yds, right?

You are obvioulsy hunting in the woods. For woods hunting I'd have a 30/06 sighted in for about 3" high at 100 yds. You'd be in the kill zone out to 250, and you'd likley never shoot that far in the woods anyway.

Then, when you need to shoot at a deer anywhere between the muzzle and 250 yds, you simply aim and shoot. No adjustments or compensation for range needed.
I'm sighted in at 100 and 250 for the 30-06. I believe this is the correct ballistics arc. At the farm I hunt, I have had everything from 350 yard shot to bayonet range. I was at the range 2 weeks ago and took some shots to get the placement at closer yardages. Last year I took 3 shots at 25 yards to take down a doe. She was running past me and stopped on #2 which gave me the chance at shot 3 but I was confused at the time and aimed low on the deer's shoulder giving me a much lower round. At 35 yards on paper I was shooting 3-4" low with the 180 grain rounds. It gave me an idea of the hold over I would need at the closer range. I think I get what you are saying but for my needs, this works. Also I can still go to the long range shots for paper, ground hogs, reactive targets...

Thanks!