HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 223 Barrel Length, Barrel Twist Rates and Bullet Size/Type
Old 12-03-2013, 01:32 AM
Ridge Runner
Nontypical Buck

I shoot 223's twisted 8,9, 10, and 12, thee bulk of my shooting is with plain vanilla 55 gr sp's, bought by the case and ran in all the above barrels. experimented for a load for each rifle for years and finaly just settled on the reman ammo to keep things simple.
reguardless what some folks think, as long as the speed and spin of the bullet does not compromise the jacket of said bullet you will not overstabilize it enough to ruin accuracy, my 8 twist 24" barreled RRA will shoot the ultramax 55 gr sp's better than anything I have, the other barrels vary from factory Remington tubes up to lothar walther stainless match bull barrels. The RRA just stacks them well enough, often enough that I call it a 1/4 moa rifle. the others run from 5/8's to around 1 moa.
everything I've put in the 8 twist has given satisfactory results from 52 gr up to 75 gr so I agree that the 8 twist is the best all around for hunting, I'm still looking for one of the discontinued bushy VLD mags to see how the RRA will run 75 gr Amax's loaded longer than standard mag length.
RR