HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Got any field dressing tips?
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2013, 03:59 PM
Champlain Islander
Dominant Buck

Years ago when I was in my 30's I hunted an area of northern Vermont called the Northeast Kingdom. It is all paper company lands and very remote moose type country. I hunted out of a camp and the next camp had a couple of old timers named Bert and Bub. From my recollection they were about the age I am now and had a lifetime of deer hunting knowledge. Bert was a short Frenchman with roots in Quebec and he was the consummate tracker. He taught me a lot about deer hunting the big woods. That roto cram thing, as he called it, that I mentioned was decades before that butt out tool came into use. He taught me how to get rid of all that "nasty stuff" in the deer's butt and I have used it with every deer I have killed since. Cut the circle deeply around the anus then pick a small branched stick from a bush or tree and push it through the body cavity and out the butt with the 2" y type branch inside the body. Just grab the stick outside the butt and twirl it for 4 or 5 turns and then pull it out towards the tail. It all comes out and I don't have to bring anything else in the pack other than a knife and drag rope. I am not trashing the butt out tool because it is pretty cool but that old Frenchman taught me to do the same thing with something that grows on every bush. Kind of a nice heritage he gave to me and I think of him fondly when I do it. Unfortunately both he and Bub are long gone now but the memories are still keeping them alive.