HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - MT Bull of a lifetime (Update)
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2013, 02:24 PM
deernutz
Nontypical Buck

Default MT Bull of a lifetime (Update)

Well not sure way to even begin. All the stars aligned fri @ 1130 am. We had just gotten done eating lunch and decided to head up a saddle. We cut 3 fresh elk tracks. One set went to the left, two went to the right. I headed to the left up hill. One of my buddies headed to the right and one headed straight ahead. I followed the track up the hill about 300 yds and found really fresh droppings. Thats when I slowed way down knowing they could be close. I started through the timber and bam theres an elk 70 yds in front of me. I froze and realized he was feeding and had no clue I was there. I decided to try and sneak another 10 yds closer to find an opening through the branches. I leaned my rifle up against a tree and found his shoulder and squeezed. He lunged forward and twirled and headed right for me. He put on the breaks upon seeing me. Now he's facing me I decided I'm not taking a chance and put the crosshairs below his chin and squeezed another one. He dropped in his tracks. Still at this point I had no clue how big he was until I walked up to him. I started shaking and couldnt talk. I tried several times to call back to my buddies but couldn't get it out unitl about the 5th try.

There are no words to explain what happened up there. To shoot a bull of this caliber the last weekend of season on public land is well words can't explain. Not much into scoring so I don't really know. He has 11.5 inch bases and the 4ths are 22.5 inches. My buddy said he definately over 340 but I'm not sure.

I was the only one able to connect on an elk but they took some nice mulies and 1 nice whitetail doe. The sweetest part this was all public land.
Attached Images   

Last edited by deernutz; 02-20-2014 at 09:49 AM.