HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Something to think about...bigger bucks
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2013, 10:48 AM
Champlain Islander
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by 7.62NATO
I love venison, first. I like a big rack; a big buck with a great rack gets me super excited and it is amazing to admire such an animal before and after the harvest. But that isn't why I do it. I admire and give thanks for every deer I take for several moments before I dress it out. A bigger set of antlers does not increase the value of the life of an animal to me. Nor does a smaller (or complete lack of a) set of antlers diminish the value of the animal or the hunt. YOU are assigning value to something SUBJECTIVE and making it the BASIS of your little rant.

I like venison to be my primary source of red meat for the entire year. I would rather have plenty of venison on hand than a lack thereof with a nice mount on my wall. Oh, and NOTHING is tastier than a fawn. I take one every season and don't care if it's a buck or doe.
I agree 100% with this very thoughtful post. Giving thanks for the privilege of taking an animal is always special to me. I have friends who are strictly trophy hunters and others like me who do it first and foremost to enjoy the fair chase hunt and for the meat. The racks of antlers are nice to look at but really don't mean much to me. The grandkids like to play with them so I keep them around. I don't see much difference between a buck and doe for eating quality. Proper care soon after the kill and a reasonable hang time along with proper butchering always results in a tender tasty deer.