HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Help with Neighbor Problems
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2013, 09:56 AM
Murby
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides
I am looking for a sportsmanlike solution to resolve these issues. We have been thinking about improving the north section of the property to draw them away from our south line. Any advice on this?
Here's what I would do...
I would go over there in the early spring before you start improving anything and strike up a conversation about the hunting issues. Don't do it now.. do it in the spring when there's "no hive to protect" and no one feels the need to sting.

Tell them you are going to be making some (yet to be determined) improvements to your land and that you think it would be a good idea if you two got together to come up with a plan so you don't interfere with each other. (bring a map of your properties and some magic markers so there's no misunderstandings)
Also make sure to inquire and confirm his control over his guest hunters.

This good faith offer and consideration now gives you a window to politely voice your complaints in a nonchalant way that won't put them in a defensive position.

In short, you are going to pretend to accommodate them in an attempt to draft them into your circle of influence.

Worst case scenario, you have to post your property to keep them off and do the best you can with the land you have to work with..
If a neighbor is intent on being a jerk, there isn't much you can do about it except defend yourself.

Best case scenario, you both come up with a plan and you both improve the entire area so much that it brings in more deer than either of you need.