HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Killing Power : Formulas/discussion
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2013, 07:37 PM
Sosalty
Fork Horn

Thumbs up

Thanks SwampCollie,
I just have to know so much before I commit to investing in a set up, possibly the 22 Hornet. Folks often throw contradictory claims around when a generic realistic report, to serve as a starting reference point, would be easy from veteran shooters.

My experience has been to invest in a pcp air rifle or a pistol, complete with tools, airtanks, reloading dies, so forth. . . then wish sought after advise would have been more available. Fired my 30-30 the other day and it took 3-4 secs for the rifle retort to fade out (sounds kinda cool booming down the creek). My situation is here's 6 houses within 300yds of my place: most the wildlife travels below me along the creek so shooting can take place safely downward into the far bank.

Daybreak is the choice time to remove 'yotes. I'm thinking along my 22WMR with a suppressor. Shots are inside 60yd, prefer to keep peace with neighbors, and don't want the wife to ban shooting from our porch. The area is covered up in Bobcats and 'yotes. One bob and 2 yotes have been removed this fall. I still know of 4 other bobs and yote howling is coming from every hill. More than 'occassional' shooting is called for.

Interesting to know that formulas often give more weight to velocity. Simple to X's weight and velocity and bet it's more representative of killing potential. Plan to weigh yotes in the future and continue to asses bullet/wound characteristics.

Last edited by Sosalty; 11-26-2013 at 07:51 PM.