HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Why Not West Virginia
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2013, 03:07 PM
Cossack
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by craig
Many years ago I recall my dad telling another local, who was hating on the "new" compound bows this:

"I don't see the need for more than a bow like mine or yours, but don't figure I've a right to tell others how to live. Those folks arn't tell'n you how you can farm, so what makes you think you've a right to tell them how they can hunt? A deer don't care what you're try'n to kill'm with, our long bows, my 06, or a bow with wheels, he just cares you're try'n to eat him. So long as they don't kill more deer than the law allows it's none of my business or yours how they do it."

I suspect if Dad were still living and able he'd still be using that same old long bow, no sights, bow quiver....just the bow and some cedar arrows with turkey fletchings. I recall watching him shoot carp in the local creek for one form of practice. Was kinda fun watching one he'd hit poorly take off up the creek with one of Dad's orange and blue arrows going with it.......(he didn't use a reel, just tried to shoot'm in the head). We'd later walk the creek and find what arrows we could. He killed a LOT of game & carp........and all with that same bow. He even shot sometimes in the local men's club shoots & held his own with it.

I expect Dad would look on crossbows just as he did compound bows, not his cup of tea, but if that was your preference, so be it.

EVERYONE should have that choice. If you don't like crossbows, don't use'm.

Your Daddy was a very wise man. Unfortunately he didn't run for congress. NAH, he was likely principled too. Couldn't have made it a day in that den of thieves. (How can you tell when a layer (congressman) is lying? When his self-serving mouth is moving.