HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Lessons learned...please feel free to add.
Old 11-25-2013, 07:54 PM
VA5326
Typical Buck

#4 Is a good one. ; ]

Another good use for a paper towel is when hunting with a Muzzle Loader, I'll take 3 or 4 209 primers and crumple them up in the paper towel and keep them in one of my pockets in the instance I drop the one I'm initially loading into my ML once I'm secure in my tree stand (yes, that has happened to me before…). Keeps them from getting lost into oblivion in the corners of your pockets. This is not part of my re-load primers that I keep in a rubber primer keeper that is attached to the tubes that I keep my loads in.

Storing Matches for those unexpected times- An empty 12 gauge shell and an empty 20 gauge shell fit snugly into one another. Perfect for storing wooden matches.

Wide Mouth 1 Quart (or greater) Nalgene bottles make excellent water proofing for a various pieces of gear. It's cheaper than a lot of other options that are specifically for water-proofing. When I go on long treks when it's raining or anticipate getting wet, I'll keep a spare pair of socks in it. The socks also keep loose gear from rattling around. It's very quiet opening too.

I also invested in a smaller-sized Pelican box to keep the valuables (keys, wallet, license, phone, etc) dry in case I plan on hunting in the rain or I get caught in it.

Flashlights- I have two Sure Fires (high Lumens) in my pack specifically for tracking in the instance my buddies or I get into a long track in the dark. I've experienced a few tracks where we've either lost power in the middle of the track or it went out on the drag back. Spare batteries work too, but you don't realize how hard it is to replace batteries in the dark until you actually have to do it.

Inova- Makes a great micro-light perfect for getting into your stand before first light. i have one that shines green and one that shines white. They have a high, low, and strobe setting. Green light has been proven not to spook deer as much as white light. The low green light setting is absolutely perfect for hiking into the stand. The white light is perfect for looking around in the instance you drop something. I keep them looped on a gutted piece of 550 around my neck. Easier and lighter than a flashlight. Keeps me from making too much noise digging around in my pack and then making more noise trying to put a flashlight back once I'm set in the stand.

Long-winded I know, but I hope someone finds this useful. Be safe.

VA