HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Indiana hunter's death puts tree stand safety in spotlight
Old 11-24-2013, 04:45 AM
VAhuntr
Nontypical Buck

Something else worth mentioning here. You need a plan if you ever do fall. How are you going to get back into the stand or to the ground? If your tether is attached and adjusted correctly you should be able to get back into your stand.

However, what if you have a complete stand failure? You need to figure out a way to get down and relieve the possibility of suspension trauma. I will not get into the effects of suspension trauma here, but I think it is very real and the reason "suspension relief" straps are included with most stands and harnesses today.

I carry the Summit Tree Descender with me. Other options could include a couple screw in tree steps or one of the automatic tree descenders such as Down Safe or the Livewire sytems. I will say that a couple screw in steps would be the most cost effective way to go. However I found them a little heavier and more noisy than the rope system the the Summit Tree Descender offers.

http://www.summitstands.com/treestan...tree-descender