HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Buck Pics and Story
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2003, 07:44 PM
btomlin
Fork Horn

Default Buck Pics and Story

I finally got to hunt on Thursday. I haven' t had much time this year due to a divorce and custody struggle.
I made it out on Thursday to the stand at 1pm. At 2:30p, I heard the distinctive cadence of a deer walking through the leaves. This buck was coming down the trail looking for his next doe (hopefully his 1st). I reached over and hit record on the video camera and got ready. I wouldn' t have shot this deer if he would have had the genes to grow both sides. It was time to help the herd better itself. He stopped one time and looked up at me and I froze. He stood there for a minute or two and then took 2 more steps. This put him in the viewfinder, but he was still looking at me. I couldn' t do anything.

He then proceeded to walk through the viewfinder before I could draw. He headed for a scent wick dosed in Hawgs Limited.

As he was smelling the wick he offered me a quartering away shot at 20 yrds. I hit him perfect. He ran about 30 yrds stopped and was coughing up on the ridgetop. He couldnt' catch his breath so he ran another 35yrds and went down over the ridge from my perch.

The cabelas lazerstrike had done it part. The blood trail was massive. I have never tracked a whitetail that has bled like this. The trail was at least 8' wide. He was literally shooting blood out of the holes. I actually took the " shootout" twice thinking he had turned. He had died behind a large tree and I could see him until I was within 15 yrds of him.

Here he is. He is at least 3yrs old and more likely 4 1/2 according to the landowner who tryed to kill him last year during gun season. He would be a 135 8pt if he wasn' t a genetic misfit, but he sure is a trophy to me.