HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Has anyone used this rangefinder?
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2013, 12:14 PM
Damenc
Spike

Originally Posted by 2bowhunter
Don't waste your money as stated in post they are chinese maid. For a few dollars more you can buy a good one fron nikon or bushnell. Nikons are better quality,little more $. Bushnells are pretty good for the price especially the compacts. I have te older version Bushnell 400 had it for years and it still works fine. There is a big difference in the optics though the nikon.s have much better optics.I still own and use a TLR-75. Though it is not a laser rangfinder it works well for me and it is compact.Just my 2cts.
That's a bit bias, I got one of these and it's the XRT model, so far so good. I had a Tasco one that was twice the price and this one was more consistent in picking out the yardage, give or take 1, 2 yards, but that's usually the case with rangefinders.

As for the made in China comment, I disagree. One of my other jobs is selling cameras and "most" cameras and lens are NOT made in Japan anymore which has the best optics. I own a Nikon SLR and the Nikon lens is made in Thailand, Canon lens are made in I believe Taiwan now. Ya, maybe way back in the days but these days it's hard to tell anymore.

"for a few dollars more...", I got this Halo XRT model for $75 cdn, the closest one to that is $200 and the Nikon/Bushnells are $250 and up, hardly a "few" dollars more. How long this will last, that remains to be seen, seems no one has had this more then a few months to answer this question. I have a year over the counter return/exchange policy so at least that's good. Unfortunately for the budget bow hunters, we can't go blow a grand on a bow, $300 on a rangefinder another $200-$300 on hunting clothes etc etc. Heck, if I had a money tree, sure, I'll go pick up two Nikon rangefinders and keep one as a back up

In the end, if I can get a good reading at 40 yards and down give or take a yard or two, I'm happy for the price. As a bowhunter, that's more then the average shot. A yard or two won't make a difference in your aim with a bow. If you're bow hunting above 40 yards, imo, you should be taking up shotgun or rifle hunting. I know colleagues that hunt at 60-80 yards, that's just crazy and risky. They are shooting them everywhere but the vitals, as long as they hit the deer, they could care less. Unethical.

Good hunting all!

Last edited by Damenc; 11-15-2013 at 12:21 PM.